International student visa requirements

Image placeholder

As an ANU student you must ensure you hold a current visa which entitles you to study for the duration of your program. Typically this is a subclass 500 student visa.

You should apply for a student visa as soon as you receive your confirmation of enrolment (CoE) (see further details below).

All visas are subject to conditions and you must ensure that you comply with the conditions of your visa at all times.

More information on student visa options and conditions can be found at the Department of Home Affairs website.

School fee exemption for dependents of International HDR students

The ACT Government have announced they will be providing a school fee exemption for the dependents of international Higher Degree Research (HDR) students enrolled in ACT public schools. For further information on eligibility, please visit the ACT Government website.

Confirmation of enrolment (CoE)

A CoE document is issued to all international students once you have accepted your offer to study at ANU.

This document confirms the duration of your program of study and is required to apply for a student visa.

Any changes to your program of study approved by ANU will require a new CoE to be issued.


You are also required to have a valid passport for the duration of your stay in Australia. If your passport is due to expire while you are in Australia you should check how to renew it before you depart.

Study load

You are expected to complete your course within the time specified in your confirmation of enrolment (CoE). This requires you to enrol at 100 per cent study load each semester - i.e. 24 units.

Reducing your study load will extend the duration of your program of study, violating the conditions of your student visa.

You can only reduce your study load in limited, exceptional circumstances, and you will be required to substantiate your request with supporting documentation (e.g. medical/ counselling certificates).

More information on requirements can be found on our Study load page.

Academic progress

It is a condition of your student visa that you achieve satisfactory academic progress. ANU is required to report unsatisfactory academic progress to the Department of Home Affairs.

If you are identified as at risk of not making satisfactory academic progress, you will be asked to attend a progress meeting and agree measures to help you improve your progress.

More information on requirements can be found on our Expected academic performance page.

Report your details

The University must always be able to contact you and have an accurate record of your visa and passport details.

Changes to your contact details should be notified to ANU within five working days. If your visa or passport details change ANU must be notified with 10 working days.


Contact us


ANU Student Recruitment